we use these words to describe everything from skin tone to moods and emotions. photos are black and white, so is your newspaper. movies used to be. a girl must have that little black dress…..and possibly at some point a white bridal gown. black tie is de rigueur at balls. black is slimming. if you live in nyc black is the go-to wardrobe staple. many salespeople in department stores must wear black.
personally, i love the combination, and consider it a classic. when i designed this neckpiece, i wanted something that would “go” with just about anything….i combined zebra agate, spider obsidian, black coral and opaline glass with silk variegated ribbon. i am very pleased with the outcome.
a little more info on these classic colors:
White projects purity, cleanliness, and neutrality. Doctors don white coats, brides traditionally wear white gowns, and a white picket fence surrounds a safe and happy home.
How the color white affects us physically
- Aids mental clarity
- Encourages us to clear clutter or obstacles
- Evokes purification of thoughts or actions
- Enables fresh beginnings
Interesting information about white
- According to Pantone Inc., white is the best selling color for the classic american t-shirt.
- More shades of white are available commercially than any other color.
- White clothing typically becomes translucent when wet.
- The appearance of white in a dream is thought to represent happiness at home. White castles are a symbol of achievement, destiny perfectly fulfilled, and spiritual perfection.
- Originally, scientists wore beige coats. In the late 19th century, medical professionals chose white ones. The color white was chosen because of the idea of hope and expectations for healing and recovery that the physicians would bring.
Songs with white in the title
- “Nights in White Satin” by the Moody Blues
- “White Men in Black Suits” by Everclear
- “White on White” by Danny Williams
- “White Queen (As It Began)” by Queen on Queen II
- “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane on “Surrealistic Pillow”
- “White Riot” by The Clash
- “White Room” by Alisha’s Attic
- “White Room” by Cream
- “White Wedding” by Billy Idol
- “Whiter Shade of Pale” by Procol Harum
Black is authoritative and powerful; because black can evoke strong emotions too much can be overwhelming. A classic color for clothing possibly because it makes the wearer appear thinner and more sophisticated.
How the color black affects us physically and mentally
* feeling inconspicuous
* a restful emptiness
* mysterious evoking a sense of potential and possibility.
what do YOU think?
ps- please check out and like my facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/dbk.design.arts#!/dbk.design.arts
the 175th “liker” earns a free mermaid bracelet! tell your friends too! thanks!